This weeks “weekend recipe” sponsored by Prestons Liquor Stores will have your taste buds begging for more: Sedgwick’s The Original Old Brown The Captain’s Saucy Steak.
- Sea salt flakes
- 30 ml olive oil
- 30 ml butter
- 125 ml Sedgwick’s Original Old Brown
- freshly ground black pepper
- For the mushroom sauce:
- 300 g mixed mushrooms such as portabellini, king oysters, porcini and button, chopped
- 125 ml thick, double cream
- 10 ml dark soy sauce
- 30 ml garlic, finely chopped
- 4 Rib eye steaks, about 2,5cm thick
1. Allow the steaks to come to room temperature.
2. In a big, heavy-based pan, fry the mushrooms in the butter and olive oil over medium to high heat. Add the garlic and season to taste. Set aside in the pan.
3. Heat a griddle pan until piping hot. Brush each steak with olive oil, season on both sides with salt and sear for 2 minutes on each side.
4. Remove the steaks from the pan and place on a warm plate, leave on a slant to rest while you finish the sauce.
5. Deglaze the hot girddle pan with Sedgwick’s Old Brown. Place the mushrooms in the pan back on heat and pour the Sedgwick’s Old Brown from the hot griddle pan onto the mushrooms. Add the cream, soy sauce and a good grinding of black pepper.
6. Serve the warm steaks with the mushroom sauce.