LAST NIGHT’S 20th SA Music Awards confirmed that this is Mafikizolo’s world, and the rest of the industry has a challenge to dethrone them.
The duo of Nhlanhla Nciza and Theo Kgosinkwe took home seven Sama gongs in total, to cap off a stellar 12 months, and very few can deny that they are in the purple patch of their career.
Hours before the main ceremony at Sun City’s Superbowl, the duo had already been named leaders of the digital market – winning Best Selling Mobile Music Download, Best Selling Ring-Back Tone and Best Selling Full-Track Download for their comeback smash Khona.
The song propelled them to four nominations at the upcoming MTV Africa Music Awards.
Eastern Cape songbird Zahara won the Female Artist of the Year award for Phendula.
Mafikizolo, who had the audience on their feet during their performance, also won Album of the Year (Reunited), Duo or Group of the Year, Best Pop Album and Best Collaboration for Happiness, the collaboration with May D.
Other performers included Mi Casa, Gangs of Ballet, Nakhane Toure and Naima Kay.
Lifetime Achievement Award recipients Ladysmith Black Mambazo and Phuz’ekhemisi enjoyed a raucous standing ovation after treating the fans to back-to-back performances of their popular hits.
But there were also cringe-worthy moments along the way; gospel Queen Rebecca Malope and Boity Thulo – generations apart – pitched in the same gown.
- Album of the Year: Mafikizolo – Reunited
- Duo or Group of the Year: Mafikizolo – Reunited
- Female Artist of the Year: Zahara – Phendula
- Male Artist of the Year: Kabomo – Memory Remains
- Newcomer of the Year: Naima Kay – Umsebenzi
- Best Rock Album: Van Coke Kartel – Bloed, Sweet & Trane
- Best Pop Album: Mafikizolo – Reunited
- Beste Pop Album (Afrikaans): Karlien van Jaarsveld – Uitklophou
- Best Adult Contemporary Album: Shaun Jacobs – Love Can
- Best Live DVD: Zonke – Give and Take Live – Andile Ndlovu