The Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs, under the leadership of Minister Des van Rooyen‚ reflected multimillion-rands worth of irregular expenditure – including a bizarre 2 581.94% increase in expenditure on consumables‚ DA MP Kevin Mileham said yesterday.
The department’s audit opinion wilted from an unqualified opinion in the 2014-15 financial year‚ to a qualified audit opinion in this financial year.
“Since assuming office in December‚ subsequent to being hired and fired as Finance Minister over a weekend‚ Minister Van Rooyen has presided over an increasingly mismanaged department‚” Mileham said.
The department had become increasingly dysfunctional and was failing to set the example for local governments in cost containment and responsible spending, he said.
In this financial year‚ the department has seen its current year irregular expenditure increase by 184% – from R155 375 000 in the 2014-15 year‚ to R442 458 000.
The department’s total expenditure hiked by almost 15%‚ from just more than R59-billion in 2014-15 to more than R68-billion this year.
- Employee compensation and salaries and wages both rose 10% and 9% respectively;
- Goods and services increased 44.94%‚ an increase of R763 550 000;
- Spending on contractors rose 42.89%‚ up R544 498 000;
- Agency and support-outsourced services jumped by 1 122.94%‚ up R6 805 000; and
- Spending on consumable supplies increased 2 581.94%, from R4 558 000 to R122 243 000 .